Tuesday 22 July 2014

The Great Ocean Road From Behind the Wheel of a Boxster


Anyone who makes a vacation trip to Victoria can not over look taking a drive along the 'Great Ocean Road'. Growing up nearby this magnificent sea lined, curvaceous road, I have made the journey many times. I never tire of this trip, it is always well worth the journey, though I always dreamed of completing it in a Porsche.


Maybe it was from all those times I had seen Porsche owners cruising around the windy bends with such ease and enjoyment. Admiring the way the Porsche badge matched the scenic beauty that surrounds this route. This time I would be sitting behind the wheel of my very own Porsche and it would be different to any other trip I had made here before.

Besides the beautiful drive is the scenery you can stop and see along the way. As we know our Porsche's are quite photogenic and often hog the camera and take a hundred selfies making sure to catch the scenery behind their choice of parking spot. And they don't care to obey the parking lot rules, thinking they own the place and they will park how ever they like just to make the scenery behind them look better.

Lorne Beach
The weather could have been better but I guess we can't do much about that, except maybe to have chosen a different day. We all know that the weather in Melbourne can consist of four seasons in one day. On this particular day it decided it was going to rain. But nothing could put a dampner on my day! Besides the fact that I was driving my Boxster, I had planned to surprise my brother who also has a great love of Porsches, and I had not yet told him of my new addition to the family.

So it was a very exciting trip to Ocean Grove, not only driving my Porsche along the freeway but with the thought of my brother's reaction to seeing my newly acquired vehicle. 


How precious that moment when he finally saw what we would be cruising the 'Great Ocean Road' in. He was literally in shock and so delighted at the same time. His eyes and mouth open wide, repeating, "What! You got a Porsche?" He was grinning from ear to ear. I could see he was itching to drive it. So after topping it up with some juice I handed him the keys and his whole face lit up. You would never see anyone get into a drivers seat any faster than he did that day.



Barwon Heads Bridge

We first did a drive by at Ocean Grove beach but it was raining too hard for us to stop so on we went to Barwon Heads. The rain let up for just enough time so we could pull up after crossing the bridge. Parking right in the middle of the car park just to get some good pics of the Barwon Heads Bridge and Beach as a back drop for the Porsche. 



There were a few onlookers and my brother couldn't wait to brag about how the Porsche belonged to me. We did the jump for joy shot and somehow my brother seemed to get higher than the car, whereas my shot looked pretty pathetic. Could hardly get my feet off the ground.


We cruised on and our next stop was Anglesea thanks to another break in the rain and a much needed toilet stop. This time there was a bit of sunshine so things were looking up that the weather may get better as the day went on. We drove a bit further down the road to the "Great Ocean Road" land mark sign. We tried to get some shots there in front at the little parking area off to the side of the road but luck was not on our side and it started to rain. We quickly jumped back into the Porsche and sped off making history, our history, our journey on the 'Great Ocean Road'. 




Wow! How amazing it felt to drive this beautiful machine around every bend, feeling it hug the road more with every tighter curve. Watching every beach in the distance as we twisted and turned. The feeling of riding a roller coaster came to mind as we went around an almost 360 curve. Everything looks and feels so much different from behind the steering wheel of a Porsche.

By chance we passed an oncoming fellow Porsche driver (would you believe it?). So we gave him the thumbs up wave, a little over excited but we could hardly contain ourselves. He obligingly gave the casual, cool, calm and collected nod and 1 hand wave of acknowledgement. That gave us a bit of a kick!

Lorne Main Beach

We made it to Lorne and it was still raining! There were more regular breaks in the weather, so we stopped for some lunch hoping for some more sun afterwards. We chose a small wood fired pizza oven restaurant, as they had a log fire burning in the eating area. The Ovenhouse is a very cozy place to relax and enjoy the fire in the colder months and their wood fired pizza was pretty good too! We chose the breakfast pizza which was of course, topped with bacon and eggs plus a bit of salad. We agreed it was quite yummy, and enough to share between the two of us. 

After lunch we cruised down to the beach, taking in the beauty of it and recalling memories of our childhood days spent on the beach. We again took some much wanted memorial photos and some more pathetic attempts at the jump shot. Maybe by the time I have made it around Australia in my Porsche I will be able to get more than a few centimeters off the ground. 



We soon left Lorne and headed back home. By the time we made it back to the 'Great Ocean Road' sign, where we stopped to take pictures with the top down, there seemed to be more open sky than clouds. So we braved it, turned up the heating, put the seat Warmer's on and kept the top down. Oh yeah, now we're talkin'! This is how a Porsche should be driven, always!


We only just made it to Anglesea before the clouds started to close in on us and we had to regrettably put the top back on. It is amazing how easy it is to convert the car with just the push of a button and pull of a lever. It makes the decision to driving with the top down a lot easier and probably more frequent.

We did manage to stop at the Ocean Grove beach on the way home for some pictures. It is a beach that is very close to our hearts with many childhood memories and the place my brother often loves to catch a wave or two. 


Main Beach Ocean Grove

I will make this trip again, but next time I will venture to Port Campbell and say hello to 'The Twelve Apostles' on the way. I hope you enjoyed my trip, I know I sure did! I would love to hear if you have some suggested trips to make in my Porsche and of course I will write about it here.








No comments:

Post a Comment