Monday 28 July 2014

Porsche Boxster IMS Solution - No Ordinary Upgrade

I have been debating since I got my Porsche Boxster whether or not to have an IMS upgrade done. The car is due for a service since the last owner had not done this and it has been over a year since the last one. The Porsche is also getting close on having a major service done. So after thinking about which to have done first the service or the IMS, the IMS was a clear winner for me.



Old & New IMS
I did a bit of research online and also made lots of phone calls to Porsche service centres to get as much info as possible before making a final decision. They mostly said that the rate of an IMS fail was around 7% and that it was not so necessary. But they also said you have no guarantee that your car's IMS won't fail. One suggestion was when you have your car serviced to ask for the oil filter to be cut in half to see if there are any metal filings inside as this would be one way of telling if it was on its way out. My thoughts were if I waited for every service it could go any time between them and I would have no idea.

The IMS Solution
Another  question I had to ask myself was would I prefer to pay the $2980 for the IMS upgrade knowing that there is no possibility of failure, feeling safe and secure and having peace of mind. Or do I just hope that it doesn't fail, but knowing if it does fail I would be looking at having to fork out $20,000 for a new engine. 

IMS before removal

My car also has been mostly a city driven vehicle and has low kilometres on the clock for the year of the car. I was told that it would have a higher rate for IMS failure due to this. 

So weighing up all the info I had been given, I decided to go ahead with having the IMS upgrade done on my 2004 Porsche Boxster. 

(All the photos were taken and supplied by Toby James at Cairns Classic Modern Porsche Services.)


All these points were not the only reasons I made this decision, I believe this will increase the life of my vehicle and the resale value (although I really don't think I'd ever sell my first Porsche!). If I did ever decide to sell it in the future whomever would purchase the Porsche would be reassured that there is no chance of a catastrophic engine failure due to IMS failure down the track. 

After deciding to have this upgrade I had to find a Porsche Service Centre who I felt could fill my needs, someone I felt comfortable with, that was reliable and competent. And also seemed to share the same passion in the Porsche as I did and not just another service centre who would fastrack me to seal the deal, just because they service Porsches. I went with how I felt and who took the care.



I finally came across Cairns Classic Modern Porsche Services. I had phoned around to a few service centres but none of them seemed to compare to CCMPSThey were all good in their own right but CCMPS had that 'something' for me.

From the first phone call and enquiry to the quotes and anything else I had queries about, I felt like these guys would take the time of day to help me out. I never at any time felt like I was rushed or they didn't have time to talk to me. They seemed to have that passion for the Porsche that makes you feel connected and they gave me all the options available for what I wanted. Giving me excellent advice and they were able to instantly answer any questions I had regarding the process of the upgrade. It was also a bonus that they were situated closer to me.


They were able to offer a replacement loan car even though it would be an overnight stay for the car! I was very grateful for this as it made the whole process less stressful. They offered to check the clutch while they had taken it out. 

Throughout the process they have kept me up to date with the progress via e-mail, sending me pictures. Also calling me to let me know I needed to have the clutch replaced (eeeeek I wasn't expecting that!) After I had my little heart attack over the cost of replacing the clutch, Toby explained in detail the reason why. The clutch had about 1000kms left on it, the rivet plate had worn down to the rivets and the pressure plate was concave.  He also sent pictures so I could see it for myself. That was so new to me - a car upgrade where the service centre sends you pictures!



Finally the works that were completed: Fitted IMS Solution by IMS Solution LLC. Fitted (no extra labour cost, thank you) a new duel mass Flywheel and complete clutch kit at a reduced price. This car now has a name 'Bulletproof'. Drive it like it's stolen!


Thank you peace of mind! 

Final thoughts on service. It's great to see a service area kept in a clean state, they are very organised and their care just seems to go above and beyond. Zig, Toby and team take pride in their work and get just as much joy out of your own happiness. Even taking the time when their work on the vehicle is complete, to cleaning 'Bulletproof' before it is driven out of the lot.



Finally my baby was ready to be picked up, and just by the reaction of Toby on the phone having just taken her for the road test, I couldn't wait to get her home. He said the Porsche was driving better than expected! That's what I like to hear. Woohoo! If he was saying that it must be good. Unfortunately I could not pick my Porsche up so I have yet to drive her and feel what all the fuss is about.

I know it's gonna be good!

More pics below of the work done:















































No comments:

Post a Comment