Sunday 29 June 2014

When The Dream Becomes The Drive

How to put into words the feelings of the moment I sat in my Porsche for the very first time. I was actually quite terrified, nervous and excited all at once.  Just seeing the car parked in my garage is enough to think I am really in a dream. I have to pinch myself and say "It's really here and its really mine!" 


Slowly sliding into the leather seat and grabbing hold of the slim line, sporty steering wheel, with it's gleaming Porsche badge shining back at me, I was home! I turned on the stereo, adjusted the seat, and just sat there taking it all in.



Not long after going over all the specs and finding out what all the cool buttons can do, I was outa there. You wouldn't even need to push me out the door, or drag me out of the house. I was running and couldn't wait to hit the road.

I live on a dirt road in the country where there are lots of wombats and kangaroos getting about the place. So it was a slow and steady start to my first Porsche drive. My Porsche Boxster is a manual short shifter so it was a great time to get a feel for where the gears are, and it didn't take me long to feel comfortable driving this beautiful machine.

Finally reaching the end of my dirt road to hit the bitumen and see what this baby can do. Wow! Wow! Wow! This car just wants to go! It only took seconds and I suddenly found myself already at 100, but this car just begs to go faster. It took the corners with ease and hugged the road, never once letting go. The sound of the engine, purring and rumbling as I accelerated. 


I showed up at my friend's door step and I had not spoken a word to anyone about me purchasing this Porsche. Not 5 minutes after I arrived I had to show her what was parked on her driveway. I think she was just as excited as I was, her face lighting up as her eyes found my Porsche. She started squealing and we jumped up and down like a couple of crazy people.

We couldn't wait to take it for a spin!

We both fell into our seats, smiles from ear to ear. It may have been cold and dark but we retracted the soft top and put the heat up. It was amazing and unbelievable how warm we felt inside the car yet it was freezing outside. We cranked up the music which we could hear perfectly with the wind flying over top of us.

We managed a few blocks around the town trying to disturb everyone we could with this roaring engine and great music. Every take off was as perfect as the next, and feeling the pull of gravity as I travelled through the gears was something else.

It was time to hit the freeway!

This ride could only get better, and it did. Screaming at the top of our lungs, my friend with her hands up in the air, it was surely a Thelma and Louise moment. We almost had the feeling like we were riding on a roller coaster ride. It was just so smooth and fun and a joy to drive. We certainly did not want this drive to end.

This will truly be a moment that will forever be remembered. When my dream became the drive.




No comments:

Post a Comment